Did you accidentally buy something today?
Just because we can afford to buy something doesn't mean that we should. The hyper-consumption of bigger, shiner and faster stuff is weighing us down because all this stuff requires maintenance which requires more time and money. However we can choose to be conscious of what we buy or buy into. Doing this action alone will help increases our happiness and save us money!
A culture obsessed with hyper-consuming stuff is concerning because of the environmental destruction that is being caused. The current rate of destruction versus conservation is having negative impacts globally. Here are some stats scary stats to keep you up at night:
- 1 billion coffee cups are used in Australia every year - these are not recycled
- 17 Billion Bottles and Cans used by Australia every year – less than half are recycled
- 6,000 KG of clothes are thrown out every 10 minutes in Australia — goes straight to landfill
- 2700 litres of water to produce one item of clothing – enough drinking water for 3 years
- Globally there have been 50 million tonnes of e-waste produced this year alone
We need to reduce consumption to provide the planet with adequate time to recover. We can do this in three simple ways:
- Next time you go to buy something, ask yourself "Do I really need this?"
- Choose to reduce, reuse, recycle – even doing one of these three is great
- Share your efforts with friends to help them be better consumers too!
Doing these actions helps us to be aware of how we spend our resources. It’s not about being frugal, it’s about making a conscious decision to better support ourself and our families. Instead of buying or consuming stuff mindlessly let’s take a minute to decide whether what we choose is a good use of our time and money. After doing this for a while we'll inevitably feel happier because we didn’t waste our time or money on absolute crap.
Share this post with a friend to motivate each other to do one thing that helps you consume mindfully to increases happiness.
Photo credit: Freestocks @freestocks